St. Thomas More is the Catholic campus ministry at the University of South Carolina.
Apart from students (both undergraduate and graduate), faculty and staff at the University, several area residents have made Saint Thomas More their church-home and are involved in the life of the community.
It is the hope of the staff and parishioners that all who come here will find a place where, through praying, worshipping and serving others together, they may nourish and share their faith as a Catholic Christian Community.
We invite you to enrich our community with your presence!
Father Marcin Zahuta
Deacon Steve Brown
Deacon Brown, a transplant to South Carolina from Southern California, was ordained in January 2016 to the order of Permanent Deacon by The Most Reverend Robert E. Guglielmone for service to the Diocese of Charleston. He currently serves the parish of St.
Thomas More in a variety of capacities. He is happily married to Suni Brown for 38 years and counting with two adult children, Jeremiah and Stephanie. He also has a cat of which he is mildly fond. His pastimes include an occasional round of very bad golf, reading and working with young people in fostering a deeper faith. He is not published (so he will likely perish…someday.)
The students of the University of South Carolina began meeting in the early 1930's at St. Peter's Catholic Church on Assembly Street. This went on for several years until a more permanent location could be found for the students.
In 1953, the Franciscan Friars, purchased the current property at 1610 Greene Street with the permission of the Bishop of Charleston. The Friars immediately began working on the Centre and converting it from a private residence into a student center with living quarters upstairs.
This community was to be a pastoral outreach center to the University of South Carolina under the jurisdiction of St. Peter Catholic Church. Initially the Chapel was converted from a garage to serve the liturgical needs of the church community.
STM continued to grow, and realizing the need for a larger chapel preparations began for the next developmental phase--a new church. In 1973, the current chapel was dedicated by Bishop Unterkoefler.
After many years of service from the Friars, ecclesiastical responsibilities were given to the Diocese of Charleston. Since then the community has continued to grow with the Centre becoming a dedicated meeting space.
Continued growth at St. Thomas More also led to a change in canonical status from a "pastoral outreach center" to a "personal parish" in October 2014.